Vietnam Photos: Sa Pa

I haven’t written in a long time. So, in the interest of getting some mojo back I’m going to get into my Vietnam photos and share some. Today it’s photos from the the mountain region of Sa Pa.

It’s an amazing place with a very laid back alpine vibe, with endless stairs of rice terraces in the surrounding valleys. The region is also home to a great deal of marginalised hill tribes who are wily traders and merchants who speak brilliant English and use some of the most subtle sales techniques to get you to purchase their textiles and jewelry.

We took the overnight train there and through poor planning were only able to stay one night. It was a brilliant night with great hospitality from the staff at Sapa Rooms who made some of the best coffee western style coffee we had in Vietnam.

Sapa Rice TerraceSapa Rice Terrace VillageSapa Cherry Blossom

1. Vietnam Photos: Huế
  2. Vietnam: Hà Nội
  3. Vietnam: Cat Ba Harbour

96 Responses to “Vietnam Photos: Sa Pa”

1. Ed commented:

I loved Sa Pa even the rain and the cold and the mud. I was bullied into buying opium by a hill tribe granny. Happy days and dreams!

2. Michael commented:

The days we were there it was beautiful weather despite what we were expecting. The only people trying to sell us opium were dodgy looking night-time street dealers.

It’s a place I’d definitely like to go back to.

3. Nic Crilly-Hargrave commented:

But did your wallet get gang raped by the lady hill tribes people? I couldn’t stand them just flooding us around all day. But was funny to see Americans get their wallets out – and watched them flock like seagulls to a chip.

Can’t wait to see the other photos. And what you thought of Hoi An.

4. Michael commented:

Not really. Andrea ended up getting sucked in to buying a bit of stuff, but I didn’t. I ended up hearing that the trick to giving them stuff but not being ripped off is to buy fruit and give that to them. That’s what I ended up doing.

5. Ed commented:

I think every woman in Vietnam mugged by wallet or at least attempted to mug it.

6. Christina @ The Hungry Australian commented:

What gorgeous photos – I must visit there one day.