Perfect Roast Pork Crackling

There is nothing better than the feeling of biting into the crispy crackling of a perfectly cooked pork roast. A lot of crunch, followed by a tiny bit of chewiness, the textures in one mouthful are like nothing else. The beauty of it is, making your own perfect pork crackling is so easy.

Perfect Pork Crackling The trick to this crackling thing is moisture. Drawing out all of the moisture is what makes it crisp. This is a 2 step process, score the skin all the way across about 1 cm apart with a really sharp knife (I use a craft knife) and then add salt. Copious amounts of it.

Grab a bowl, add a heap of salt, crack a little bit of pepper, and a pinch of ground chilli and a few tablespoons of oil. Mix it all together with a fork and rub that onto the scored skin of your pork. Then add some more salt, all over it. I’m serious.

To cook, pre-heat the fan-forced oven to its hottest temperature, put the roast in, cook for about 5 minutes on that temperature and then turn down to your cooking temperature.It’s best to keep it on fan-forced as this keeps drawing out the moisture in the skin and helps with the crackling. About halfway through cooking, check your skin, stick it with a fork, it should be really quite hard. If it isn’t, add salt.

Before serving, if you are worried about it being too salty, wipe the skin with a paper towel. Most of the salt will just wipe off, leaving that beautifully crackling, fatty skin with just that little bit less cholesterol.

1. Roast Chicken stuffed with Lemon, Garlic and Fennel
  2. Amazing Slow Roasted Lamb

87 Responses to “Perfect Roast Pork Crackling”

1. penny aka jeroxie commented:

I can almost hear the crunch! Looks awesome.

2. Daniel commented:

I like to dry the pork skin, preferably for at least two days, by scoring and salting it, and then leaving it uncovered in the fridge. You can touch the skin to feel how much it has dried. If it still feels soft, I’ll sprinkle over more salt.

As for the cooking time, I’ll leave it at 230 degrees celcius for about 20 minutes before dropping it back to 180 degrees.

However, the other weekend, I used a Jane Lawson recipe for roasting pork hocks, and that required roasting it at 230 degrees for one hour before reducing the temperature. Aside from the smoke setting off the fire alarm, it worked well. We got our crackling, and the fat within the hock kept the meat moist.

3. Simon commented:

When you say to put the roasting tin into the oven would it be best to have the lid on the tin or leave it uncovered?

4. kim charlton commented:

I had crackling at a restaurant that was very flat and thin and cut into a perfect small square it was very crunchy and served with twice cooked pork belly. I would like to kndow how they did that crackling. I cant forget it ever its was awesome. If anyone knows how its tell please tell me????

5. Dan commented:

@kim

I think they remove the skin from the pork, lay it out flat on a baking tray and cook it (along with salt/oil/drying etc)

I saw Jamie Oliver do that so I assume that may be a chef’s “trick”

6. Aimee commented:

I’m just learning how to cook so any tips are great… I love pork, especially the crackling…

I heard that pouring boiling hot water over the rind, then paper-toweling the moisture off, is a good way to get nice crackling. It causes the skin to tighten and makes scoring and salting easier.

Anyway, Happy Crackling!!!

7. Chef Mark commented:

Try removing the rind from the pork before cooking it.
    Score the pork rind ( cut into the rind lighty, but not all the way through)
    IN a bowl, mix 2 parts salt to 1 part sugar. Add roasted spices ( fennel seeds, coriander seeds, chilli, cumin seeds, star anise , cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns) and rub spices and sugar/salt mix together to release oils into salt mix.

Rub this curing mix into your scored pork rind and let it stand for 2 hours or so.

Wash excess salt mix off, pat dry, and place on grease proof paper, in an oven tray. Placve another piece of grease proof paper on top, then another heavy oven tray on top, to ensure the crackling stays flat whilst cooking.

180’c oven for about 25-30 minutes until golden brown and crispy.

8. Michael commented:

Thanks for the input Mark. Much appreciated. I’ll give it a go next time I’m doing a roast.

9. Salvatore del Popolo commented:

Remove the skin at the end if cooking and place it on a small rack over a tray snd pop it back into the oven for 10 mins. Unbelievable!

10. oooh commented:

suggest we should breed pork with crispy skin that would make us easy.

11. Ron commented:

Hi Kim, If the crackling was very thin and not much fat, I think you will find its from very small pig even a suckling pig.

12. riff commented:

If my pork roast crackling doesn’t crackle, 4-8 mins in the microwave on Hi (covered with a couple of paper towels) does the trick – check it after 4 mins, then 1 minute bursts after that…super bubbly, crispy crunchy crackle…mmm…crackle!

13. tim commented:

this process did not work for me any other ideas?

14. Jeremy commented:

I can do crackle well. All said here is true but 1 vital thing has not been mentioned. The fat under the skin will soften the crackle, making it more like rubber. Simple solution, 1/2 an hour into the cook, lift the skin, scrape the fat from the skin and roast, then put the skin back where it was. As already mentioned, score the skin, heavily salt and start the cooking at a very high temperature (220 degrees c or higher)

15. William Bishop commented:

Well if I had a restaurant, I would keep precut salted/seasoned pieces of rind and frankly just blow torch the suckers or bbq on a very close natural coal fire turning frequently. Serving with a home made mustard would be ideal. Sounds like a plan. Unfortunately have neither tools nor mustard made. Sounds like a big chore at this point. Would rather just eat raw, LOL.

16. William Bishop commented:

Self, comment. Beef or fish or oysters. Not pork rinds.

17. ash commented:

all good ideas everyone but all also shit try moderate amount of salt then spit roast it over heat beads in a beer keg now were talkin

18. Suckling Pig | Mad Dog TV Dinners commented:

[…] came out of the oven to much fanfare. His entire skin had become beautiful crackling. After a 20 – 30 minute rest, Oli carved the pig – the meat fell off the bone and the […]

19. Spru's Food » Blog Archive » Asian-Australian Pork Chops commented:

[…] Another day, another great dinner.  While at the market, Yow-Yow decided to venture out of our normal snags and chickens and get some pork chops.  However, because it is Australia, they aren’t quite the same type of cut as in the states.  We had a bit of bone on one, but very little on the other.  And the largest difference…the full fat and skin on the outside.  This leads to something that people here are crazy about: pork crackling. […]